Not since 2017 has the Hagens Berman Axeon Cycling Team had a rider from Great Britain on the roster (Chris Lawless), but that changes this year with the signing of Joseph Laverick who joins the team from Madison Genesis.
“Axeon is a team I’ve looked up to since my junior days,” said Joe on joining the squad for 2021. “It’s rare for Brits to be on the team, so I’ve got to continue the good record they’ve set.”
The 20-year-old from Grimsby (a small town in the north-east of England) missed out on the entire 2020 season due to the Covid-19 pandemic, but is more than ready to race again. Joe considers mid-length climbs and time trials his strengths, while he is hoping to improve on his race raft and consistency throughout the year.
“I think Joe is drawn to the shorter, punchier climbs and he can do a good TT,” said sport director Koos Moerenhout. “He will be an asset to the team; especially with his desire to experience all of the types of races to improve as a rider.”
- Current city? Girona
- Languages spoken: English and French (mais je suis pas parfait)
- Favorite city: London. I think it’s a horrible place to ride, but a cracking city for off-seasoning.
- Favorite food: Anything with chocolate. A brownie if we’re going to be specific, but I’m not fussy.
- Favorite film: Any Harry Potter film. The books are better though.
- Favorite flavor of Honey Stinger: Caramel
- Book or Album reading/listening to right now: I’m not too fussy with music and have a massive playlist on shuffle to keep it fresh while training. I’m currently reading the Jack Reacher series but they're nothing too special.
- Race you'd like to win someday: I’d love to win the Tour de Yorkshire. I live just below Yorkshire, while my county is obviously better, TdY is as close to a home race as I’m getting.
- Interesting fact: I once won a Playstation 4 in a English Schools National Football Final. I was a goalkeeper, and we lost 2-0 but I got “Man of the Match” and a Playstation 4.
- Are hotdogs a sandwich or taco? I personally think that the hotdog is just the sausage in the middle. But, if I’m gonna be pressed for an answer I’d say sandwich.